Journey home

Thurs Sept 20th.

The sea is quite calm and we are having a splendid trip. I have nothing to do, so time drags a bit, but we pass the time reading, singing and card playing. Unfortunately, we have had a drowning fatality, a man fell overboard and though a boat was immediately lowered, he could not be found.

Sat Sept 22nd.

Pulled into Sierra Leone at midday.

Wed 26th.

Still lying anchored in harbour Sierra Leone about 600 yards from shore and a decent looking town by the name of Freetown. No leave is granted to the men owing to the danger of fever, but some of the officers have been ashore. The niggers row out in canoes and dive for coins etc.

Tues Oct 2nd.

Left Sierra Leone today at 11 am. Pleased to be away as it was very monotonous, lying in sight of land and not being allowed ashore.

Mon 15th.

Arrived at Table Bay off Capetown today about 7.30am and moored alongside pier and taking in coal. We were allowed leave from 1pm till 11pm and had a grand evening.

Went into Capetown and after walking round for a while went out in a train to Camps Bay, which is one of the finest train rides in the world. The train runs along the coast and back round the hills above Capetown, the whole run taking 1 hour 30 minutes through 11 miles of glorious scenery.

Tues Oct 16th.

On leave again today from 10am till 10.30pm and walked round seeing more of Capetown. Also went to Museum in which are some fine specimens.

Fri Oct 19th.

Still lying in Capetown Docks and on leave each day. The last 2 days have been big days in Capetown. The ladies are collecting funds for Red Cross and are selling flowers, matches etc to raise money.

Sat Oct 20th.

Left Capetown today at 11am.

Tues Oct 30th.

We are a long way south and it is very cold. We have even had sleet. Another death occurred last night, making the 4th since leaving England. We have on board several chaps who have lost both legs, a good many with one leg, several blind and worst of all, several who are insane, they being in a special wired in portion of the vessel.

Sun Nov 4th.

Arrived at Fremantle at 3.30pm. West Australian troops disembarked at 5pm and we left again at 6.30pm.

Fri Nov 9th.

Arrived at Outer Harbour, Port Adelaide this morning at 10 o’clock. After South Australian troops had disembarked, we were all allowed leave from 12 till 11.30pm and had a good day in Adelaide, which is a fine city.

Sat Nov 10th.

Cargo is being unloaded here and we were allowed off the ship today, but were not allowed away from the vicinity of the Docks. The Ladies of South Australian Cheer - up Society entertained us in a large building on the Wharf, and gave us an excellent dinner and tea. Also concert at night.

Sunday Nov 11th.

Left Semaphore today at 7am.

Tues Nov 13th.

Arrived at Port Melbourne early this morning where all troops were disembarked. We were taken to Rest Camp in Wirths Park, Melbourne and allowed leave, as we cannot get away today for Sydney.

Wed Nov 14th.

We are still in Melbourne and having a good time, though mostly anxious to get home. I have to remain till tomorrow on account of heavy race traffic.

Thurs Nov 15th.

Left Melbourne today by train for Sydney. On arrival at Albury we had tea and then all were accommodated in sleeping berth in N.S.W. train.

Fri Nov 16th.

Arrived at Sydney at 10am receiving wonderful welcome. Allowed 10 days leave.


Next Page